Before starting with Pros and cons of ruby on rails, let me give you brief introduction of whats ruby on rails and where do we use it!
In ruby on rails, there are two terms, ruby as a language and rails a framework built on top of rails.
Ruby is a programming language. It was created 20 years ago by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto. By most measures of programming language popularity, Ruby ranks among the top ten.
Rails is a software library that extends the Ruby programming language. David Heinemeier Hansson is its creator. He gave it the name “Ruby on Rails,” though it is often just called “Rails.”
So now you know basic difference between ruby and rails, let me take it forward.
Rails is a development tool which gives web developers a framework, providing structure for all the code they write. The Rails framework helps developers to build websites and applications, because it abstracts and simplifies common repetitive tasks. Rails is known for developer friendly.
As you have the basics, let me now move on to pros and cons.
Benefits of Ruby on Rails:
- Easy to learn: Ruby on rails is known to be simple and easy to learn. If you had prior knowledge on best practices, OOP, functional programming, etc then learning ROR will be a cake walk.
- Productivity – Ruby is an eloquent and succinct language, which when combined with the huge number of 3rd party libraries, enables you to development features very fast. I would say it’s the most productive programming language around.
- Rapid development: It has been calculated that the development time on Ruby on Rails is reduced by 40-50% in comparison with the development on other programming languages.
- Easy Deployment: Capistrano makes deployment to multiple machines straightforward
- Gems: The huge bank of awesome Gems (ie, plugins), that make integrating anything a matter of few minutes or hours.
Cons of Ruby on rails:
- Scalability issues,
- Scaffolding is too basic to be very useful other than for learning and basic testing
- Good quality developers are hard to find: Finding good ruby on rails development companies is still a pain even though the framework has evolved a lot.
- Boot Speed – The main frustration we hear from developers working in Rails is the boot speed of the Rails framework. Depending on the number of gem dependencies and files, it can take a significant amount of time to start.
- It consumes more system resources and if you are developing a new product, finding a free hosting could be a problem (openshift and heroku can do as of now)
Rails is a fun framework that takes a lot of the drudgery out of web programming. The greatest advantage of using Ruby on Rails is being part of a vibrant, dynamic, creative and caring community.
If you are looking to hire ruby on rails companies then do check out Codebrahma for reliable work.